Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Leg 6 - The Slab Ride

Labor Day morning found me waking up at 0630 MDT for a projected 0715 departure. Greeting Ed on this fine morning, he broke the news to me that he was not going to be able to ride to Walla Walla with me. So I packed up and headed on out on I-84 with a first stop projected to be Baker City for breakfast along with refueling the bike. Of course, rolling along the interstate at 75mph is a bit boring, so it brought out the obligatory shadow shot.

Breakfast. Yes, yummy and it's my favorite while on the road.



Finishing breakfast, I head on west on I-84 to the top of Emigrant Springs (google that for history of the Oregon Trail) and take the last exit before heading down the grade as I want to ride the old road which is much more twisty and interesting. Here are some of the first views.




It's a wide open prairie out there.

Heading down the grade I stop for a few more photos.




A photogenic gravel pit along the old highway.


At the bottom of the hill 2 ST1100's and their riders are headed up the hill on what will prove to be a fun run for them. I then come into the little Indian Community and there is a large stack of grain awaiting transport. These piles are pretty common in the farming areas of this part of the Pacific NW.



Just down the street, a family has this antique horse drawn manure spreader in their front yard. It's quite picturesque.



Following the secondary roads I roll into Milto-Freewater which was my Dad's birthplace. Of course, they have a photogenic city hall which I photograph. And "Frogs" seem to be a symbol of the town and I find a few.






It was then a short ride to the final cafe where I set up my tripod and camera with its self-timer for one final cafe shot.


I refueled and headed for US12 and rode it west near a windfarm.



It was approaching (actually past lunch time), so I vectored myself to Davy's Burger Ranch in Prosser where I wasn't disappointed.


Then the bike got refueled once again and I headed for Chinook Pass as I figured that Snoqualmie would be packed with Labor Day weekend traffic. It was a terrific ride up and over the pass with a little threat of rain so I donned my frog toggs and rode over the pass and took a picture at a sign post at the end of the park on the Mather Memorial Parkway.




I arrived home at 6:40pm on Labor Day having completed 1815 safe miles.



15 Cafe's tagged. And a whole bunch of riding fun doing it.

I found it very interesting that each of the segments took on a different theme. I trust you've enjoyed the read and pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment